Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trying something new

Eat Right 4 Your Bloodtype

I have heard a lot about this book for the past several years and I actually previously owned a copy which I misplaced. Overall, I am fairly happy with my weight even though there are about 10 remaining pounds of baby weight that seem impossible to shake. I am fairly active and do my best to work out a few times a week. But there are a bunch of issues that have plagued me, like chronic sinusitis and I am slowing becoming convinced that my diet affects my overall immune system. So I thought I would revisit this book and see if a few tweaks to my diet would help me. I bought a new copy and did some additional research. The basic concept is that each person's body chemistry metabolizes food differently, based on their blood type. For some people, eating meat, dairy and wheat can be problematic. Other people have a much easier time digesting these things. My blood is type A. As it turns out, a vegetarian diet with the addition of some lean proteins, is the way to go for my body. Most of the things that I love the most... dairy, pickles, breads, cured meats, etc. are the worst things for me to consume (of course!) The book suggests a diet rich in fruits and vegetables with lots of soy protein. An Asian diet would be ideal.

What is most fascinating for me is that Ella is also a type A and MANY of the things that the book advises us to avoid are things that she is highly allergic to. Pistachios and wheat are on that list. Also interesting is that several things that she has always turned her nose up at, like bananas and tomatoes, are also on the list. Maybe there is something to all of this and her instincts are razor sharp? I am not restricting her to this diet, but if there is something that she is not into and it is on the "avoid" list, I will not push her. There is no doubt that I will cheat, but I am going to make a concerted effort to at least incorporate more of the desired foods in my diet. Last night I made stuffed chicken breasts with spinach and mushrooms. I served it with a delicious arugula salad and brown rice penne. (Look for these recipes soon on this blog). I am eating oatmeal for breakfast each day. And lunch today is kashi with broccoli rabe and peanut sauce, miso soup and fruit. This might be a hard diet to stick to with my schedule but I am giving it a shot. I will let you know how it goes!

No comments: