Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cake #2: Classic Cherry Chip















Ella wanted to have another cake at her big birthday party, and who am I to say "no". One of the cakes that I remember fondly from my childhood was cherry chip with cherry butter cream frosting. And since Ella has recently discovered the Maraschino cherry, I thought it would be fun to recreate my nostalgic favorite into a wheat-free cake. Once again, I used the Vanilla (Butter) Layer Cake recipe from the Annalise Roberts cookbook. After making the mix, according to instructions, I folded in 1/2 cup of well drained, finely sliced Maraschino cherries and 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips. I frosted the layers with cherry butter cream and topped the cake with rolled fondant butterflies, that I colored to match the theme colors of the party.

Along with the cake, I made 2 different types of cupcakes for our guests to choose from: Dark Chocolate with Orange Cream Cheese Butter cream and Cherry Chip Yogurt and Buttermilk cupcakes with Cherry Butter cream, both with wheat flour. Several people tried both the cake and the cupcakes and each told me that while liking the cupcakes, they found the cake to be even better. Two of my Mommy friends are either Celiac or allergic to wheat and they were thrilled to have a chance to try the cake.

Needless to say, I will be making this one again. Now I had better get myself some of the leftovers!

No comments: