Thursday, August 12, 2010

What do Food Allergy Labels Really Mean?



"While you might be tempted to ignore those 'made in a facility that processes' (something you're allergic to) labels in the supermarket, new research suggest products with these labels are in fact more likely to be contaminated with peanuts, milk or eggs than unlabeled foods."

GREAT! Doesn't it seem like every package now has these warnings? Generally, we avoid the ones that say "may contain trace amounts of tree nuts, peanuts or sesame." But usually, I throw caution to the wind when it says, "Processed on equipment that also processes tree nuts, peanuts or sesame." Shopping is never easy, especially now. I guess I am going to have to take my magnifying glass to the store with me as many of these warnings are often almost too small to read.

I am curious if any of my readers have ever had a bad experience with this type of labeling? There are a lot of people out there, all over the world who read this blog and I would love to know how bad this problem is.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This is scary since it seems that just about everything has a "processed on equipment also used to process..." label. Also, even if there is a product you have used before knowing it did not contain an off limit item always check the lable every time. My mom used Progresso brand bread crumbs with no problem for years, then had a reaction. What happened? Sesame was added to the list of ingredients, and since she hadn't looked in years she didn't know.