Friday, August 27, 2010

Back to School on Monday

Ella, striking a pose


I cannot believe how fast the summer has gone. On Monday, my little Ella will be starting Kindergarten. It is so hard to believe; exciting; terrifying. She cannot wait. Today they had a Milk & Cookies orientation event at her school. It was hosted by her teachers. I have been looking forward to it as an opportunity to talk to her teachers about all of the ins and outs of her various food allergies. But alas, I have been stuck in bed for the past 3 days with a nasty cold. And today, my throat was hurting me so bad that I completely lost my voice. The only place I was headed to was the doctor's office.

Thankfully, we have had the help of our beloved babysitter all week. She took both kids to the event, after I threw some allergen free cookies in the oven for Ella to enjoy. My husband went to school before heading to his office to try and get a moment to talk to her teacher. But she was in the midst of a CPR class at that moment (pretty cool) and he wrote her a note, asking her to give us a call so that we can discuss everything with her over the phone.

All of my other "to do" items have been checked off the list; got the Epi pens updated and new bottles of Benadryl are ready to be packed into her emergency kits, her updated Med Alert bracelet arrived just yesterday, everything is labeled, forms have been filled out and turned in. Now all I have to do is focus on getting healthy and to CALM my nerves. Ella will be starting up at a new school and there are a lot of new people for us to get to know. Thankfully, she has a small class and we live only walking distance away from her school.

But I will be on edge, at least until the school year gets rolling.

6 comments:

Christy said...

I have just found out that I am wheat, cheese and sugar intolerant... Due to that I have found your blog through others... I am excited to get to know your family through blogging! Your Ella is so cute! I have 3 of my own...
I will be praying that your nerves are settled and you have a smooth year with her new teacher and new friends!

Heidi Miller said...

Thanks, Christy! That means a lot to me!

Michelle said...

The best laid plans... I'm sorry you are feeling so lousy, Heidi! I know you have done everything you can to prepare and protect Ella, and I'm sure the teacher and other parents will be willing to work with you.

Anonymous said...

I just found your site and am so glad I did! At 8 months of age my daughter and son (twins) were tested or allergies. I suspected something just because my daughter would get diaper rashes and my son wouldn't (plus I'm allergic to lots of stuff). We found out my son has no allergies but my daughter is severly allergic to whole egg and peanuts. We have been kind of living in seclusion out of fear and because many people don't seem to understand the seriousness. In fact my daughter cries when she meets someone new because it happens so infrequently! I don't know how to protect her but allow her to be out in the world and she is only 14 months old. Ughh...I'm just a big mess. Anyway your blog is really great. I hope that it will help calm some of my paranoia!

Heidi Miller said...

I am so happy that all of you have found my blog. Having food allergies or caring for someone that has them can be so isolating. The best part of doing this has been connecting with people. Sharing information, exchanging recipes, telling personal stories... that is what I am all about. Thanks for tuning in. There is a lot of power in knowing that you are not alone.

Robert Boyle said...

GREAT PICTURE OF ELLA WITH THOSE SUPER GLASSES!
DAD AND NATASHA