Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tuna Cakes

I originally published this recipe in April of last year. But it is a good one and I thought it would be worth re-posting it. It is the perfect thing for these warm summer nights. Even better with a glass of chilled white wine or Prosecco.

Tonight, I was brainstorming a use for a bunch of things that I had in my pantry and fridge. I also had a box of broken Gluten-Free Crackers that had arrived in the mail early in the week. You might not be surprised to learn that they were like that when I got them. Anyway, I was also thinking about crab cakes and how much I miss them. So I came up with this recipe for tuna cakes and I was thrilled with the results. I completely expected Ella and Milo to turn their noses up at them, but to my great surprise, they LOVED them. Ella even asked for seconds and thirds. I served them with asparagus soup and tater tots (why not?) But next time I make them I am going to serve them alongside chilled gazpacho. That would be soooo good!

Tuna Cakes
2 cans tuna, drained (I prefer packed in olive oil)
1 cup Gluten-Free Crackers , crushed (you may also use Ritz if you have no allergy)
1 egg or equivalent egg substitute
1/4 cup mayonnaise or nonfat yogurt
1 stalk of celery, finely diced
1 spring onion or 2 scallions, finely diced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon of chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
pinch ground Cayenne
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients well in a bowl. Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes.

Heat oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan, approx. 1/4" deep) over medium high. When oil is ready, scoop tuna with an ice cream scoop (I used a #20 scoop) and form flat patties using your hands. Gently place the patties in the heated oil. Fry until golden brown on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve atop a bed of greens and garnish with lemon slices.

Makes 8 tuna cakes.

No comments: