Friday, July 3, 2009

Jello Poke Cupcakes

My grandma used to make the most delicious cake at Christmas time, amongst a barrage of delicious treats. Every so often I find myself missing her and her goodies. And for the past year or so I have been making a wheat free cupcake that is reminiscent of her Jello poke cake. Whenever I make it, people swoon. I have stopped telling them that they are eating "wheat-free". Clearly this recipe is not the healthiest thing that I make. But isn't it fun to be bad, every so often?

I am making these cupcakes, to take with us to tomorrow's 4th of July parade. Last year I picked up some tinsel sparklers from Pottery Barn and I will use them to top the cupcakes. There is no doubt that people will think that I am "nuts" and "over the top" but this stuff makes me so happy! Happy 4th to all of you Americans out there!

**These were a big hit, even with those who are not restricted by allergies. And no one gave me grief about being "over the top!" Phew!

Jello Poke Cupcakes (Wheat/Gluten-Free)

1 recipe for vanilla cupcakes (my favorite is from A. Roberts)
1 3 oz. box red jello (cherry, strawberry)
1 tub of cool whip

Make the vanilla cupcakes, according to instructions. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

Make the Jello, according to instructions.

Place the cupcakes inside a 13 x 9" glass casserole dish. Poke holes in the cupcakes with a fork, approx. 5 times. Drizzle the Jello over the cupcakes, slowly, allowing the liquid to fill the holes. (Approx. 2 tablespoons, per cupcake). Chill for 6 hours or overnight.

Frost the cupcakes generously with Cool Whip. (If you do not have Cool Whip on hand or want to eat something less processed, cherry or vanilla butter cream also works nicely). Decorate with sugar, sprinkles or fresh fruit.

No comments: