Thursday, July 2, 2009

Mama's Spaghetti

I originally posted this recipe a few months back. It is so good, but tonight I tried it using ground turkey instead of the beef. It was just as good. The spices work well with the turkey. Don't omit the bacon if you can help it. It is what makes the sauce irresistible!

Who says that we have to stop eating amazing pasta, just because we have a wheat allergy or a little gluten intolerance? I am always telling my friends who are in this predicament to substitute rice pasta and top it with their favorite sauce. You will never know the difference. This recipe has been in my family for a few generations. For me, it is the ultimate comfort food. My Mom has made it my entire life and now I take much joy in preparing it for my family...

2 Tbsp. bacon fat (or 2 slices chopped bacon)
½ cup chopped onions
1 lb. chuck, ground
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, minced
1 1-1b. 13 oz. can tomatoes (3-½ cups)
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 6 oz. jar sliced mushrooms, undrained
1 tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sage (I tend to use 1/2 tsp., as that is my taste preference)
¼ tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp. salad oil
16 oz. spaghetti, wheat-free

In bacon fat in large kettle or cook bacon until browned add and saute onions until tender. Add chuck; cook, stirring often, until meat loses red color. Add garlic, green pepper, tomatoes, sauce, mushrooms and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1-½ hour or until as thick as you like. Boil spaghetti according to package directions


Yields: Serves 6

Time to make: 2 hr
Source: Cici Schultz Wynn

No comments: