Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sugar Scrub


Ella has always had horrible eczema.  And since we have eliminated wheat and soy from her diet, it has improved, vastly.  But lately, it seems to be flaring up.  Not sure why, but I am quite concerned that this means that she is allergic to something that we do not know about.  Maybe it is simply the soap and/or laundry detergents that we use.   We do not meet with her allergist for another couple of months, so I am slowly trying to figure out what could be irritating her so much.  As I was laying in bed last night, it occurred to me that she might benefit from a little good-old-fashioned exfoliation.  So I went online, as every good, modern mother does to find an acceptable sugar scrub that I could make.  My husband asked me, with much practicality, "Why not just use one of those many scrubs that are already in the bathroom?"  Most of the scrubs that I use have lots of things that I am almost certain would reek all kinds of havoc for Ella's skin, so the only way for me to control things is to make it myself.  And make it I did.  The end result was a bit of a hybrid between many different recipes.  I first tested the oils on her skin to make sure that they did not hurt her.  Once I knew they were okay, I was ready to roll.  Here is what I came up with...

Sugar Cookie Sugar Scrub

1/3 cup white, granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable glycerin 
2 tablespoons jojoba oil
dash of vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients in a bowl or jar until well combined.  If the consistency is too thick, you can slowly add more jojoba oil, a teaspoon at a time.  Apply the sugar paste to the skin in the desired areas.  Gently rub in a circular motion massaging the skin.  Leave on for 3-5 minutes.  Rinse with warm water and enjoy baby soft skin!

We had a fun adventure of "Ella's Evening at Burke-Williams" pretending we were at one of LA's famed day spas.  She seemed to LOVE the special pampering.  And her skin really does feel super soft.

In the research that I did, a few sites suggested using baby oil which is actually quite horrible for the skin.  It clogs pores and is a very bad idea for those with eczema.  Other oils were possibilities, like avocado oil or adding aloe vera.   The recipe I decide upon was the simplest and had the purest ingredients.  If you wanted to individualize it, you could add any essential oil that you desire.  But not more than a drop or two.  Store any left overs in a tightly sealed jar and keep it in the bathroom for easy access.  Just use the contents within a week or two.

1 comment:

Robert Boyle said...

Heidi........Natasha and I actually have this a couple times a week. It is fun, inexpensive and tastes really good with Boysenberry syrup. Tell Milo this goes in his mouth not his nose, not the shirt, not the table.
Cute picture !!!!! Dad