Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Envy

There have not been too many times in my life that I have been envious. In fact, I am always a grass is greener kind of gal. But human nature dictates that sometimes, we wish we had more. And today, was one of those times. Was it a play date at a fabulous Beverly Hills home? Or a glimpse of a friend's new luxury SUV? Not so much. For the first time, I really wished my kid could taste nuts. Without hesitation, and with complete reckless abandon.

We were at gymnastics and after class was over, all of the kids rushed to get a snack. Most of the children opted for the Nature Valley Honey Nut Granola bars. Happily, they clinged to the green wrapped treat as it crinkled in their tiny hands. Could they possibly know how lucky they are? Is it possible for someone to skip through life, eating anything that your heart desires, without fear of... hives? Yes is the answer and without question, as I was one of those kids. Little did I know how blessed I was. And to think, all I did was complain about how my parents would not buy me an Izod shirt or K-Swiss shoes! But that is beside the point...

Oh, how I wish Ella could not fear food. I wish more than anything that she could taste EVERYTHING and decide on her terms what she likes and what she does not like. This moment hit me in a deep place for some reason and it has been difficult for me to shake it today. But through it all I am finding new inspiration and because of this, I am going to march on. And I hope and pray that through all of this, Ella will some day be able to feel like a normal kid. And not hate me for shielding her from those things that might hurt her...

1 comment:

Robert Boyle said...

Ella may, at times, become discouraged over not being able to eat what others are eating in front of her. And at times, she may be teased for not eating certain foods. But Ella will thank you forever when she is old enough to understand the love, dedication and constant vigilance that you have exerted over the past couple of years and for years to come. People like you and others have a cross to bear that is only smaller than the ones your children must carry!!!!!!
Your Father