Friday, March 13, 2009

Leek and Mushroom Soup

My friend Shannon also sent this one to me. As I have mentioned, she lives in the Pacific Northwest and has the opportunity to make lots and lots of soup! This one was a HUGE hit. I am starting to think that leeks are like the bacon of vegetables. Everything tastes good with them! Ella is not into creamy things so I reserved some of the soup with just the veggies and chicken broth, before adding the flour and 1/2 & 1/2 for us. I served it with some of our favorite wheat-free french bread. Soup has never gone so quickly in our house!


Leek and Mushroom Soup

1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 large leeks, sliced
1 10 oz. package of frozen asparagus, thawed
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour (can be wheat-free)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
14 oz. can chicken broth
2 cups 1/2 & 1/2

Cook butter, leeks, mushrooms and asparagus in a large sauce pan until tender. Stir in the flour and spices. Add the chicken broth and 1/2 & 1/2. Continue cooking until the mixture thickens.

I used my stick blender to puree the soup and then I used some of the leeks and asparagus that I had set aside as a garnish.

No comments: