Sunday, June 7, 2009

Gluten Free Doughnuts



Ella's class is celebrating a birthday tomorrow. Usually, the kids eat cupcakes or cookies. But for this party the children will be enjoying doughnuts. Since I usually bring in a wheat free alternative for her to eat, I have set myself up on this one. No worries! My newest GF book, Gluten-Free Baking with the Culinary Institute of America, has a recipe that I have been wanting to try. Aside from all of the flour blend prepping (this book has recipes for 5 different flour blends, each quite distinguishable from the other) this recipe is actually quite simple. It has been about 15 years since I properly fried something but my house smells a lot like a county fair. The dough proofed nicely, and the frying went even better. I made the doughnuts tonight but when Ella wakes in the morning we will glaze them and dip them in sprinkles ("Mommy, they HAVE to have rainbow sprinkles!") Hopefully they will hold up well for the next 12 hours.

Ever the guinea pig, I decided to make some cinnamon sugar to roll a few of the doughnut holes into so that I could taste them. And let me tell you, they are quite delicious. They are cakey and dense. And honestly what dough, wheat or otherwise, doesn't taste sensational when fried? And these will taste especially good with some sugary glaze. Fingers are crossed that Ella will actually eat them!
UPDATE: Ella not only ate them, but is now addicted to them! Milo seems to be developing a "habit" as well! This always feels good when you spend time making something. This cookbook is a good one to have, by the way...

No comments: