Friday, September 17, 2010

Canned Pumpkin Shortage


Going, going... GONE

I just had a major "WHAT?" moment at the grocery store. While looking for some canned pumpkin, I was informed that there is a major pumpkin shortage. How did I miss this? I have been using canned pumpkin for months, even buying it as recently as last week. While scratching my head I had to go online and check it out. And sure enough, there seems to be a shortage with companies like Libby. Apparently, cans of Libby's pumpkin have fetched high price tags on websites like E-Bay, some as much as $30 per can. The cause seems to be several growing seasons with too much rain and not enough sun. I have noticed that it has been hard to find at places like Ralph's, last fall in particular.

Here is a link to an article about the situation from the Washington Post from June...


The cans that I bought last week were from a smaller, organic grower. As soon as I finish this blog post I am going to head back to the store where I found them and stock up. (Read: Hoard). My family has grown addicted to all things flavored pumpkin... especially muffins and pancakes.

Hopefully the growers will have luck with their crops, as Halloween is just around the corner.


No comments: