Monday, July 12, 2010

Red Ants on a Log













Since discovering Ella's allergies, we are constantly trying to find new things that help her to feel like any other 5 year old. Most kids her age are very familiar with peanut butter. They eat it on almost everything. One of the classics is peanut butter on celery sticks. (Something I am pretty crazy about... the perfect mid afternoon snack). When Ella got her skin test last year, I asked if they could test sunflower seeds, as I was not sure if she was also allergic to them or not. Thankfully, she is not. Even still, I have resisted offering them to her because most of the labels that I read state that their product has been processed by equipment that also processes peanuts and tree nuts. But I happened to notice that Trader Joe's carries a sunflower butter that is "safe". So I grabbed a jar, figuring that if nothing else, I will have something new to snack on.

I spend a LOT of my time spinning my wheels trying to find things Ella MIGHT like to eat. I know that I am no different that any other parent of a five year old, let alone one with so many allergies. It just seems like I often spend tons of time and/or money "experimenting". Sometimes, she goes for it, tries it, loves it. Other times, not so much. But I thought I would try making "Ants on a log" traditionally made with celery sticks, peanut butter and raisins. Since my gal prefers Craisins, I used them on top of the sunflower butter. Verdict: twisted facial expression and silence. But I LOVED them. Oh, well...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, just needed to thank you for the blog posts on "Red Ants on a Log".
I realize this isn't your newest post, but it seemed to be the right place to leave a comment. lol
My webpage: click here to read more

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to
my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!
My site :: tf2 hack