Sunday, July 25, 2010

Home Garden

Le Jardin Miller

We just moved into a new home that has a backyard with lots of sun. Previously, our home was on a slope in the Hollywood Hills and there wasn't much room to plant anything other than a few potted plants scattered about. Recently, many people have taken to growing their own gardens at home for a variety of reasons. It's inexpensive, organic (if you chose), rewarding and educational. I have never had a green thumb. My five year old is very interested in the process of how things grow. And both my Mother and my Mother-in-law are master gardeners. Good people to have around. If Ella asks me a question about a plant or flower I always say, "Let's ask Grandma."

My Mom came down to help us after my sinus surgery. And while I was recuperating, she took Ella to our neighborhood nursery. They picked up sunflower, pumpkin and carrot seeds. Then they planted them is a flower bed in our backyard. The children have been watering the sprouts, each day. And the plants have been growing rapidly. Before long, we might actually have something to harvest. Since this little experiment seems to be successful we are considering growing a few more things like tomatoes and strawberries. And my friend just brought us some lavender as a housewarming gift. This could get interesting. Maybe Ella will be able to teach me a thing or two about what it is like to have a green thumb.

She's already talking about what kind of salad she is going to make for Christmas dinner. A five year old, thinking about Christmas in July? She is definitely my kid!

No comments: