Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Stung by a Bee


Yesterday, Ella was stung by her first bee. A wasp, to be exact. Since her father is very allergic to bee stings and she is incredibly allergic to so many things, we thought that is was possible that she might also be allergic to their stings. She was playing in the backyard and started screaming like crazy. She was hysterical. "A bee, a bee! A bee stung me!" It was terrifying, I must admit. There was no stinger in her skin but there was a small red dot and the skin around it began to swell a bit. Not having any clue what I should do, I made a paste out of baking soda. This is something that I had seen a friend do for her daughter at a party recently. And it seemed to help her. Ella was uncomfortable. But she seemed more afraid of the situation than she was actually experiencing pain. There was very little swelling, thankfully. Thank God, actually. It seems that she is NOT allergic to wasp stings. I gave her some Benadryl and what little swelling there was went away as soon as the drugs kicked in. Still, this event did manage to rattle my nerves. Especially because I realized how unprepared I was. If ever you are stung by a wasp, here are some cleaver ways to treat the injury...


Hopefully, you will not need to use these tips, but good to know just in case.

No comments: