Thursday, June 3, 2010

Still Afraid to Eat Shrimp, in spite of this report


Shrimp Allergies May Wane with Age

Even though my allergist told me that I am no longer allergic to shrimp last August, I have yet to try it. Last weekend Ella and I were at Whole Foods ordering salmon from the fish counter. She expressed interest in bay shrimp, which she had never tried. The guy working the counter offered her some as a sample and she loved it. So she begged me to get some to take home. Traditionally, shrimp is supposed to be eaten cold, a la cocktail style. But she wanted hers warmed up. I put them into a water bath in a fry pan on the stove. Knowing that they are already cooked, I knew that it would not take much heat to get the job done. But as I was cooking them my throat began to get itchy. Maybe it was pyschosomatic, maybe it was my histamine response or maybe I was just experiencing some other allergy reaction. The fact of the matter is that I have no interest in eating them. Even though I do miss eating shrimp cocktail.

No comments: