Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cranberry Cinnamon Party Mix

Thought I would repost this, as it is a great snack to have on hand for play dates and parties...

Since I learned that Rice Chex does not contain any wheat, I have been finding all kinds of different ways to use the cereal. When we go on road trips, I will often make up a batch of "Ella's Trail Mix" using Rice Chex, Gluten-Free Pretzels, other wheat and gluten free cereals like Perky-O's and Puffins, raisins or other dried fruit and sometimes, chocolate chips. When we were planning for her party she asked me if I would make some of her special mix, to serve at the party.

So I did a little research on the Chex website and came up with this recipe. FYI, Rice Chex is now also Gluten Free, so if you are Celiac you will want to check that out.

Many people told me how much they liked this. It is great for parties, but also just to have around as a snack.


Cranberry Cinnamon Party Mix

1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 butter
3 cups Rice Chex cereal
2 cups Gluten Free Twist Pretzels (I used Glutino) or regular pretzels
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, set aside. Melt the butter, set aside. In a large bowl, toss the cereal and pretzels. Drizzle the melted butter over the cereal and pretzels. Sprinkle the sugar mixture on top of the other mixture. Pour onto the cookie sheet, spreading into a single layer.

Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes. Toss in the cranberries. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

Enjoy!

No comments: