Saturday, December 19, 2009

Jelly Doughnuts, a day late

Ella's school took a field trip down to City Hall on Thursday. They went to help light the Menorah, along with a couple of other groups from several Temples. It was a lot of fun, mostly because the kids got to ride the subway downtown (not a common thing for a bunch of Los Angeles children). It was fun for the parents because we got to hear our adorable children singing Hanukkah songs. There were tons of jelly doughnuts on hand to add to the festivities. Knowing that there was a chance that some sort of wheat treat would be available, I had brought along some wheat free cookies for Ella to eat. But she really wanted to try the doughnuts, so we had to settle with her licking some jelly off my finger. Truth be told, it was a bit of a sad moment for me, as these are the times when I so wish she could partake in what everyone else gets to eat. So I promised myself that I would make her some wheat-free jelly doughnuts this weekend. Tonight, she and I whipped up a batch from the Culinary Institute of America's Gluten-Free Baking Cookbook. Instead of piping the dough into rings on parchment, I rolled the dough into balls and had Ella gently flatten them into patties before letting them rise for a second time. After they cooked, I drained them and dusted them with powdered sugar. (Or dropped them into a bowl filled with a cup of granulated sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon mixed together.) And then I filled a piping bag with blackberry preserves (Ella's favorite). Then I poked the doughnuts and gently filled them with about a teaspoon of preserves. Oh, dear Lord were they ever yummy! They are best eaten warm, but we now have so many of them that something tells me that we will be eating them for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments: