Friday, February 6, 2009

Stomach Bugs & BRAT Diets

Well, we have had a doozy of a week over here. The stomach bug has paid each of us a visit. First Milo went down, then Gabe, then Ella and finally, moi. It has been horrible! The hardest part has been coming up with foods for the kids to eat and still keep them nourished. We have been following the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce & toast) diet, for Ella especially, as she has had the hardest time shaking this one. Thankfully, my bread machine arrived in the nick of time. I have been making a loaf of wheat-free bread, every other day for the past week. And since I have also been working through all of this madness, my slow cooker has also been in heavy rotation cranking out all kinds of soup concoctions. If you have a little one who has had stomach bugs recently or if you, yourself have been sick, you may want to check out the article below. There are a few things that I have been doing wrong (like serving the kids watered down juice). Ella's doctor also suggested chamomile tea, which she loves drinking iced. Another home remedy is a warm compress applied to the outside of the tummy. We have some lavender slippers that heat up in the microwave which have worked perfectly for this purpose.

FYI... I have been taking Chinese herbs to boost my immune system, as well as drinking Green Vibrance Super food. Not to mention, endless hand washing. And I still got this thing. This seems to be a bad cold/flu season. Please stay healthy, everyone!

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/diarrhea/a/06_brat_diet.htm

No comments: