Saturday, November 14, 2009

Review: Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix

Gotta say, I had my reservations. I was not sure what the mix would taste like or what kind of texture it would have. But we were happily surprised, on both counts. I used the mix to make a batch of cupcakes and then I used them to make two desserts over the course of two nights.

Dessert #1: Strawberry Shortcake. I cut the cupcake in half and placed it in a bowl. I then topped it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, macerated strawberries and whipped cream. Everyone was quite happy with the results.

Dessert #2: Mini Banana Trifles. In a dessert glass, I layered bits of torn cake + banana pudding + sliced bananas + whipped cream. I did about 3 layers of each and finished with a doll
op of the whipped cream. Gotta tell you, this dessert was TOPS! I served to my in-laws who were visiting and they went, well, bananas. It was sort of like the classic banana cream pie and just as addictive.

There are probably 150 different things that you can do with this basic cake mix. There are other wheat and gluten free cake recipes that I prefer. But this sure is a great product to have on hand around as a last minute dessert fix. Hopefully you can find it at a your local grocery store!

No comments: