Monday, August 24, 2009

The Real Cost of Cheap Food

There is a lot of dialog going on about health care right now. But the one thing that seems to get left out of the debate is how the foods we eat affect our health. And I am not just talking about fast foods, here. Foods in the USA barely resemble the ones that our grandparents ate. They are genetically modified, processed, vitamin fortified and on and on. I have a hunch that the rise in food allergies might have something to do with this.

I am not a vegetarian. But I do admire those who choose not to eat animal protein. I am just a foodie, through and through. And I prefer to get my proteins from meat, as opposed to beans. But I am very much a supporter of free-range, organic meats. It really is quite disturbing to hear about the realities of the animal farming industry; what the animals are fed, their housing, how they are slaughtered. Animals that are eaten were once living, breathing beings. Their lives are important. Personally, I would rather eat an animal that lived happily and healthily, eating the foods that animals are supposed to eat. To me, that is worth the extra cost. And if I am not willing to pay that price I pick something that is not meat to eat.

As a person who shops for the family, I am well aware of the high costs of putting dinner on the table these days. And for those of us with food allergies, the grocery bill is even higher. But all the more important to make sure that your body is nourished the right way. What is good for the body is good for the soul. Correct?

Time Magazine has a great cover story in this week's issue that raises the issue of how much eating cheap foods is actually costing us. Please check it out if you get a chance, it is quite thought provoking...

No comments: