Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things...


Well, Ella and I could not have picked a better time to have food allergies. Luckily, there are many options out there for us. Ella is allergic to wheat, eggs (except in baked goods), soy, all tree nuts, peanuts and sesame. She is extremely allergic to pistachios, especially. When I became a Mom, I also became a baker. Now I am busy trying to find recipes that can easily be substituted for Ella's favorite baked goods. In going through this process, I have discovered a few cookbooks that are fantastic. And many that are not. Here are my suggestions...


Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts


Gluten-Free Quick and Easy by Carol Fenster, Ph. D.


Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults by Connie Sarros



I am also in love with the following products and would not be able to survive without them...


Any and all brown rice pastas


Tapioca, Potato, Brown Rice, White Rice, Sweet Rice and Sorghum Flours (I did not even know that these foods existed two months ago)


Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Pancake Mix (also dairy-free and nut-free)


Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Brownie Mix (also dairy-free and nut-free)


Corn Tortillas


Corn Flakes (who knew that they would save my life?)


Authentic Food's Blueberry Muffin Mix


Brown Rice Cakes


Glutino's Gluten-Free Frozen Pizzas


Mi-Del Arrowroot Animal Cookies (Thank you, thank you, thank you!)


Pirate's Booty


Let's Do Gluten-Free Ice Cream Cones



It may seem like I have a lot of sweet choices on my list. But hey, I have a 3 year old. Sweets are a part of our lives! I will add to this list later, but I just wanted to take a moment to sing some praise!

No comments: